25 May 2010

Book Review - Boneman's Daughters

Title: Boneman's Daughters
Author: Ted Dekker
Source: Purchased
Pages: 404
Publisher: Center Street
ISBN-13: 978-0446547208
Rating: 2 stars


From the back of the book:  Would you kill an innocent man to save your daughter?
They call him BoneMan, a serial killer who's abducted six young women.  He's the perfect father looking for the perfect daughter, and when his victims fail to meet his lofty expectations, he kills them by breaking their bones and leaving them to die.
Intelligence officer Ryan Evans, on the other hand, has lost all hope of ever being the perfect father.  His daughter and wife have written him out of their lives.
Everything changes when BoneMan takes Ryan's estranged daughter, Bethany, as his seventh victim.  Ryan goes after BoneMan on his own.
But the FBI sees it differently.  New evidence points to the suspicion that Ryan is BoneMan.  Now the hunter is the hunted, and in the end, only one father will stand.

My Thoughts: Interesting concept that failed to really deliver, IMO.

This read more like two books in one, both of which never really got fleshed out. In part one we have Ryan, the military intelligence officer who ends up being picked up by a terrorist and tortured. In part two we have broken Ryan trying to save his daughter from a serial killer.

There was no real mesh between the two, not to mention that I felt absolutely zero sympathy for Ryan and his plight, nor did I have any kind of feelings for the daughter, the mother or the other man. I really can't say that I super enjoyed a book where I cared for none of the characters.

The whole book felt like it wasn't sure where it wanted to go, or what it wanted to be ... rushed and choppy. To be completely honest I had to stop and make sure I wasn't reading book two in a series. I was expecting more serial killer stuff and here he'd already murdered everyone, been arrested and was being released on a technicality???? Huh?

Being the first Ted Dekker that I've actually read, I will give him a second chance, but I honestly was not impressed with this book at all. It was okay, I finished it to see how it would end, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment